Re: Use of Swap Space

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009, Aneurin Price wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On 02/03/2009 05:01 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> >
> > That's a design issue (I think) specific to Windows.  Has to do with  the
> > decision to map video card RAM into regular address space (even on machines
> > with discreet video cards).

This situation is true for most any OS.  Linux (for example) can work
around it fairly well by properly implementing PAE to extend the address
space.  Windows doesn't work so well with PAE (thanks to the joy of closed
source drivers).

> You should be able to avoid this problem by enabling PAE - search Google
> and there'a a lot of information about this, but a lot of it sadly is
> either inconsistent or just clearly wrong (it's my experience that that's
> the case for most responses to questions relating to Windows, but then
> maybe that's just my prejudice showing).
>
> Try looking at http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/08/14/699521.aspx
> and searching Raymond Chen's blog for more recent posts on the topic.

PAE (usually) doesn't work well under Windows unless all the drivers are
64-bit aware.  Apparently WinXP sp2 just silently ignores the /PAE flag
(at least as far as memory addressing is concerned).

Dan's Data has a good summary of the 3GB+ issues with 32 bit windows here:
  <http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm>

> Apologies for pushing this thread further OT.

Likewise.

-- Brad