Re: Use of Swap Space

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 02/03/2009 05:01 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>  > On 02/01/2009 10:04 AM, Mirko Scurk wrote:
>>  > [snip]
>>  >>
>>  >> Could it be that 32-bit Debian can't access rest of memory?
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > That would only be an issue if he could only see (I think) 2GB of his
>>  > 4GB RAM.
>>  >

>> Really?
>> The only system on which I've >3Gb of ram and a 32bit OS is my Windows
>> laptop, and that reports 3.5Gb of the ~4Gb that's in there. I've no idea how
>> to get a less-rounded number for it out of Windows.
>
> That's a design issue (I think) specific to Windows.  Has to do with  the
> decision to map video card RAM into regular address space (even on machines
> with discreet video cards).

You should be able to avoid this problem by enabling PAE - search Google and
there'a a lot of information about this, but a lot of it sadly is either
inconsistent or just clearly wrong (it's my experience that that's the case
for most responses to questions relating to Windows, but then maybe that's
just my prejudice showing).

Try looking at http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/08/14/699521.aspx
and searching Raymond Chen's blog for more recent posts on the topic.
Apologies for pushing this thread further OT.

Nye