Re: Scim does not work with openoffice

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I followed your indications but with no success.
> I installed *all* the packages you report in my Testing system; then
> in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim
> I put the following stuff:
>
>  #GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
>  GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
>  #QT_IM_MODULE=xim
>  QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

Good.

> ; then in ~/.scim/global I put the following stuff:
>

>  /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8

In this case, just include your GB locale in ~/.scim/global thus:
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_GB.UTF-8,en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8

while excluding locales that you do not use in the line above.

> .  But still the output of locale is:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"

BTW, just to be clear, the LC*=<value> lines should not be in
~/.scim/global file.

Also note that we are not changing your locale, just trying to get scim
to work. So if you locale is still en_GB.UTF-8, that is fine.

> and I start scim, then run openoffice, do C-space but the scim toolbar
> does not appear!

When you do 'scim -d' in a terminal, what are the messages that you get
in that terminal? You also first need to get scim configured (after
starting it) to tell what to do with CTRL+space, i.e. which layout to
choose.

Let us first get scim working and then we will deal with openoffice.org.
So while trying to get scim to work, just use a GUI editor to see if you
can input international symbols.

I see from your past emails that you are using gnome. Do you get the
scim icon (the gray keyboard icon) on your panel when you do 'scim -d'?

Also, since you are starting gnome using startx, what are the x commands
you use in your x-starting file (.xinitrc?)?

->HS

ever having been read.