Re: .xsession crashes X (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

On Jan 25, 2:50 pm, Osamu Aoki <os...@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> > I use Gnome and normally start X typing the command `startx'.
>
> That is fine.
>
> Although you can make it work with .xsession, ... why try to do things
> your way and complain.  .xsession requires you to be able to start
> session manager by yourself.  ~/.xsessionrc should be the one under
> lenny for you.  But all these needs good understanding of X session
> scripting.
>
> There is an easy way!
>
> Did you read all the documentation came with scim such as
> /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz.  Did you install im-switch?  (I
> made/uploaded them)  This is what you need to do rather than reading
> non-Debian howto.
>
> Read also new:
>  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thekeyb...
>
> Osamu
>
> --

Thanks for your indications.

But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
sister, she speaks Chinese and
needs writing chinese characters.

With gedit, she simply does:

 $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

, but this does not work with openoffice.  Can you suggest how to
achieve it?
She needs word processor features.  Otherwise, I'll have to install
ChiTeX and make it
work.  But it's very difficult for me to install and for her to use.

Rodolfo