Re: .xsession crashes X (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks for your indications.
>
> But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
> sister, she speaks Chinese and
> needs writing chinese characters.
>
> With gedit, she simply does:
>
>  $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
>
> , but this does not work with openoffice.  Can you suggest how to
> achieve it?
> She needs word processor features.

First, let me say that I have not so far got scim workimg in Debian, but nor
have I particularly tried.

I have however got it working for my grandaughter (who speaks and writes
Japanese) in Kubuntu, OpenSuse and PCLinuxOS.  I installed anthy as well as
scim and she has full keyboard input and can type quite fast.  (There
are "tricks of the trade", which she knows and I do not - but I can ask her
for instructions if it would help.)  Japanese is more complicated than
Chinese in that it has two different syllabaries as well as ideograms, but it
all works.

I have always had problems with OpenOffice.  I did get it going in one of
them, 'tho I can't remember which.  But the solution was to use another Word
Processor, e.g. KWord.  I am sure there are others that would work fine.  You
say that it works in Gedit.

I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.

> Otherwise, I'll have to install
> ChiTeX and make it
> work.
> But it's very difficult for me to install and for her to use.

Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
install and to use.  When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.

HTH
Lisi