Re: Scim does not work with openoffice

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
>>> sister, she speaks Chinese and
>>> needs writing chinese characters.
>>>
>>> With gedit, she simply does:
>>>
>>>  $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
>>>
>>> , but this does not work with openoffice.  Can you suggest how to
>>> achieve it?
>>> She needs word processor features.
>

> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have always had problems with OpenOffice.  [...]  But the solution was to
>> use another Word Processor, e.g. KWord.  I am sure there are others that
>> would work fine.  You say that it works in Gedit.
>>
>> I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
>> as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
>> install and to use.  When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
>> see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.
>

> Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when I
> do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.
>
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.
>
> Bye
> Rodolfo

I am jumping into this thread here so ....

Looks like you still do not have it working yet.

I have scim working here properly on Debian Testing. The packages that I
have installed are listed at the end of this post.

After install scim and the related m17 packages, I had to set my
variables so that I have:
$> set  | grep -i scim
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

I have set these in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim in my case. The lines
that do this in the files are:
#GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
#QT_IM_MODULE=xim
QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

I supposed you can set these in your .bashrc as well, but I haven't
tried that.

Next, you need to be careful about the locale you are using. In my case,
$> locale
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I needed to add these to my ~/.scim/global along with other locales that
I may use. So the line reads this in my case:
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8

Once this is done, you need to start scim. I just stated it once (I am
using KDE) and it automatically starts by itself whenever I log in. To
start it manually, I think you need to give the command "scim -d" on a
prompt. I sometimes have had to relogin after tweaking scim settings
during a session.

With these things in place, I can get multi-language in put in OOo. I
also noticed that if I installed openoffice.org-kde, scim stopped
working for OOo. It probably has something to do with KDE and
environment variables.

Good luck,
->HS

PS: Some relevant packages that I have installed:
$> dpkg -l *scim* *i18* *office* *m17* | grep ^i | gawk '{print $1 " "
$2 "\t" $3}'
ii debconf-i18n 1.5.24
ii kde-i18n-fr  4:3.5.10-2
ii libgoffice-0-6       0.6.3-1
ii libgoffice-0-6-common        0.6.3-1
ii libgoffice-dbg       0.6.3-1
ii libm17n-0    1.5.2-1
ii libmono-i18n1.0-cil  1.9.1+dfsg-5
ii libmono-i18n2.0-cil  1.9.1+dfsg-5
ii libtext-wrapi18n-perl        0.06-6
ii m17n-contrib 1.1.7-1
ii m17n-db      1.5.2-1
ii openoffice.org       1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-base  1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-base-core     1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-calc  1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-common        1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-core  1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-draw  1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-emailmerge    1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-evolution     1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-filter-binfilter      1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev      1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-gnome 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-gtk   1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-impress       1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-java-common   1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb    1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-math  1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-officebean    1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-report-builder-bin    1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-andromeda       1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-crystal 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-tango   1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-writer        1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-writer2latex  0.5-8
ii scim 1.4.7-3
ii scim-m17n    0.2.2-3

ever having been read.