Re: resolv.conf getting erased

tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> Thanks for all the tips, on and off-list. I noticed that at the same
> time as my resolv.conf was getting cleared, something was bringing up
> the eth0 interface. After much poking and prodding, I found that
> commenting out the allow-hotplug lines associated with eth0 in my
> /etc/network/interfaces, ie:
>
>   # The primary network interface
>   # allow-hotplug eth0
>   # iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> seems to have solved the problem. This is something I was messing with
> months ago, and I have no idea why (or if!) the associated behaviour
> changed now. Anyways, things seem to be working fine now. We'll see what
> happens when I plug into eth0 at work tomorrow.

I've been working at home all week, just plugged into my work eth0. On
resuming from hibernate to disk, only the lo interface was up. I plugged
in the ethernet cable and called ifconfig eth0 up. The eth0 network was
up, without an IP, and I also had an entry for eth0:avahi:

eth0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:d3:29:0d:aa
          inet addr:169.254.5.190  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          Interrupt:16

I then called dhclient eth0, and got an IP on eth0. Everything then
seemed to be working, but dns lookups were slow. So I checked
resolv.conf, and this time, instead of being cleared of all useful info,
it had the dns servers for my work network *and* my home router:

tyler:~-> cat /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.2.1
nameserver 140.184.1.21
nameserver 140.184.1.22
search no-domain-set.aliant SMUNET.SMU.CA

So now I've got the opposite problem as before - instead of having
resolv.conf properly updated, I'm getting the new info appended. Which
means I still have to edit the file by hand. Any ideas what's wrong
would be most helpful!

I will eventually look into automating more of this, but I would like to
understand what's going on at a lower level, hence my current efforts to
sort this out at with dhclient and ifconfig.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
I never loan my books, for people never return them. The only books
remaining in my library are those I’ve borrowed from others.