Re: help with mlterm

Hi Mitchell,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:55:52PM -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 23:18 Sun 25 Jan     , David Purton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get mlterm to work in the way I want for a mixed Hebrew
> > and English environment.
>
> I am interested in using  hebrew as well. You seem much more advanced
> than I, can I ask you some questions?

Hehe, this is a complete illusion. :) My biblical Hebrew course starts
next week... I'm just trying to get stuff sorted out before the three
week intensive part of course starts, so that I can spend three weeks
learning Hebrew instead of three weeks playing with my computer....

> I am still at a beginning level. I have difficulty  using my usual tools.
> I use emacs usually. Unfortunately
> emacs only shows me 'square boxes' when i open a file with hebrew in it.

I don't use emacs, but this sounds font related. I don't know enough
about how emacs works with fonts to give sensible answers here.
Presumably it does not substitute fonts like gvim/gedit do.

> If however i do
> emacs -nw hebrew-file
> then it will open with hebrew text displayed (backwards :().

In mlterm? Try again in mlterm and see if that helps. Vim is pretty
usable in this way.

> if i open emacs -fn heb10x20 hebrew-file i get
> No fonts match `heb10x20'
> emacs -fn heb8x13 hebrew-file
>
> it will display hebrew text (backwards of course) and not right
> justified like in  gedit and kedit.
>
> I have been using gedit and kedit which seem to work, but they are not
> my choice editors...
>
> I see that you advocate xetex.

Only becaue ordinary tex can't cope with the combining characters
required for pointed Hebrew. Plus it's easier to choose fonts you want
for different scripts.

> Can you describe what you do to set your favorite hebrew writing environment?
>
> I  see that Tzafrir likes vim.  What do you  think?

This is what I'm trying to figure out.
vim is my editor of preference, but it has some short comings, I think.

It's not so bad for me, since I really will only need to insert the
occasional hebrew word in my essays, rather than write paragraph text.

If you run vim in an mlterm console, it behaves the same as gedit. See
my other reply for my trouble with this.

It is likely I will use gvim, and just live with hebrew being displayed
left-to-right, since I will only need to put a few words in - then TeX
can do the work in displaying it right-to-left

> Any good hints on using xetex?

I have not used it much yet, but it is very simple to get it working.
Presumably you found the LaTeX page on my website, at the top of the
main class file, there are a few lines of setup stuff for XeLaTeX - and
that's all it takes. The XeTeX website has some stuff to get you started
as well.

> How do you do vowels?

I use gnome and just added a biblical Hebrew Tiro keymap. Then vowels
are just added to the previous character.

I found this keyboard map file:

http://www.sbl-site.org/Fonts/BiblicalHebrewTiroManual.pdf

which tells me what key to press...

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a