Re: VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 01/19/2009 02:21 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2009-01-19 03:30 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:

Hi,

(Note that I've been rolling my own kernels since 2.6.0, and was even
able to make 2.6.27 work.)

The boot error is:
   Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)

The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.

In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
the relevant fs and chipset drivers.

You have to use an initrd if you use the root=UUID=whatever syntax,
because
- udev needs to be run to create the necessary symlink to the real
  device file in /dev/disk/by-uuid¹, and

- the init script in the initrd replaces "root=UUID=whatever" in
  /proc/cmdline with "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/whatever" that the kernel
  understands.

Sven

¹ Actually you can also create the symlink in the static /dev directory,
  but that does not help if the device name changes.  Which is the very
  reason for using UUIDs in the first place.

So initrd is for more than loading modules at boot time?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA