Re: VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 01/19/2009 01:03 AM, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:30:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
   Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)
The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2. In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in the relevant fs and chipset drivers.
[snip]
$ grep EXT[23] /usr/src/linux/.config
[snip]
Any (helpful) thoughts?

what about scsi (or sata?) and scsi disk support in your
/usr/src/linux/.config ?

Hmmm.  While looking thru the file, I noticed that CONFIG_SATA_NV=m,
and checking a known-bootable kernel shows that it is "y".

I wonder how that happened...

Let me try that!

[long pause.  Save As Draft is very useful!]

That was the cause. Since I use "make oldconfig", I wonder how this happened. Seems as though there was some rearranging of the menu structure. And when I got that working, forcedeth disappeared. Somehow, my .config got whacked.

Moreover, if you think that grub2 is responsable (which seems unlikely,
but who knows) you can try installing lilo in the boot sector of sda1
(or whatever) and chain load such a lilo boot sector from the
mbr-installed grub2

Debian kernels boot successfully.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.