Re: VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 2009-01-19 03:30 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (Note that I've been rolling my own kernels since 2.6.0, and was even
> able to make 2.6.27 work.)
>
> The boot error is:
>    Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)
>
> The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
> booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.
>
> In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
> the relevant fs and chipset drivers.

You have to use an initrd if you use the root=UUID=whatever syntax,
because

- udev needs to be run to create the necessary symlink to the real
  device file in /dev/disk/by-uuid¹, and

- the init script in the initrd replaces "root=UUID=whatever" in
  /proc/cmdline with "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/whatever" that the kernel
  understands.

Sven

¹ Actually you can also create the symlink in the static /dev directory,
  but that does not help if the device name changes.  Which is the very
  reason for using UUIDs in the first place.