Re: How to let a user login locally with a weak password

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:21:23AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:08:41PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> I'd like to setup an account that can use a weak password.
>>> To make up for it, the account should only be accessible locally, not
>>> over the network.
>>
>> Weak is not easy ... there is minimum number of character for password.
>> But no password is easy.
>
> Not really. While it is possible to set specific requirements for the
> strength of a password. root can always set the password to anything.

Oops, Debian default was not to use pam_cracklib.so ... You are right.

> IMHO, I see no compelling reason for a strong password for a non
> networked home desktop.

Me either in some case.  no password is ....

Anyway, see /etc/security/limits.conf and pam_limits.so : man pam_limits
This is way how system limits logn to local user.

Osamu