Re: How to let a user login locally with a weak password

Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:08:41PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'd like to setup an account that can use a weak password.
To make up for it, the account should only be accessible locally, not
over the network.

Weak is not easy ... there is minimum number of character for password.
But no password is easy.

Not really. While it is possible to set specific requirements for the strength of a password. root can always set the password to anything. IMHO, I see no compelling reason for a strong password for a non networked home desktop.

It would be sufficient for it to be accessible only via GDM/XDM (since
I don't need remote XDM/GDM logins).

GDM can be configured to have default login user who can get desktop
without password.

"System" -> "Administration" -> Login window" -> "Security" -> "Enable
timed login"

Osamu

                                       -- Albert Einstein