Re: Homemade FTP server

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:05:16PM -0800, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
> on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
> (remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
> perhaps even have a torrent client on it)
>
> I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
> what hardware would be recommended?
> Do people find that debian works well for servers?

See if the NSLU2 works for you. The NSLU2 (Slug) is a headless device,
which works pretty well as a headless server. I use it (with Debian
Lenny, armel) as an ssh only server for backups and building some
Debian packages, but FTP works pretty fine. I got my Slug for $42, so
it's fairly low cost.

The following websites give more details on NSLU2 and Linux in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

The following instructions by Martin Michlmayr make installing Debian
on the Slug:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

Hope this helps.

Kumar