Re: iptables/firestarter

>> on my system but it isn't running, and I don't think I ever set it up. All I
>> want is for my web port rule to start every time I boot, but I can't find
>> anywhere in the system where iptables is saved, or where to put this one line
>> rule so it starts every time.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/615 has more information
about this topic.

Personally, I do this:

Ensure that you have your firewall rules set up as you wish them.
Then, edit /etc/network/interfaces to add the following:

# Bring up firewall
pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules

# And save fw state on shutdown
post-down iptables-save -c > /etc/iptables.rules

However, people seem to be saying that this may have drawbacks, as if
you add a bad rule or otherwise negatively alter your ruleset, it
would get automatically saved.  Since I make all edits to my iptables
rules in a shell script that I source when I want to change them, I'm
not too worried about that, but you can see several alternate
solutions from the link above.

Hope this helps!