Re: essential packages getting deleted when switching to testing libc6

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:15:52PM -0500, Stephen Dewey wrote:
> this mess? I am tempted to simply install the new kernel as suggested
> (apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686) and then run apt-get
> dist-upgrade again to finish the process once that dependency is
> resolved, but I am worried about making things worse.

I usually do things like that. But I also do not consider a "mess" a
case like yours (cases like this also happen when apt-get or aptitude
was interrupted for any reason in the middle of a big install, or quite
often when upgrading a sid system).

> Also I am still not sure about the significance of the "not fully
> installed or removed" programs.

after a

dpkg --configure -a

what actions would suggest

apt-get -f install

?

> As for aptitude, I could use that but I am not sure if it would be
> good to switch tools in the middle of my upgrade effort...

you can switch to aptitude whenever you want, but better after a

dpkg --configure -a

(or even better after there are no unresolved dependencies, if you have
any. But this is not necessary)

It is quite likely that aptitude would solve your problem faster than
apt-get (if you have a sufficiently modern machine and a sufficiently
standard installation). Surely, experienced used can use either (or both).

Try them both with the simulate option to see what they want to do.