Re: essential packages getting deleted when switching to testing libc6

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Stephen Dewey
<stepheneliotdewey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Johannes Wiedersich
> <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Stephen Dewey wrote:

>>> Ok. I am OK with moving to Lenny. Would it then be OK for me to simply
>>> upgrade to Lenny via the below?
>>>
>>> apt-get update
>>> apt-get -t stable upgrade
>>> apt-get -t stable dist-upgrade
>>> apt-get -t testing upgrade
>>> apt-get -t testing dist-upgrade
>>>
>>> (I am getting this from
>>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html   - I
>>
>> That seems to have been the prefered way of upgrading from potato to
>> woody. Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (a.k.a. woody) was released on 19th of July,
>> *2002*.
>>
>> I followed the recommendations for lenny from
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/10/msg00000.html
>> and it worked for me without problems.
>>

> Ok. Yeah I guess I should have done things a bit differently. Given
> that I started a different way, switching sources to Lenny and running
> an upgrade then a dist-upgrade that left "75 not fully installed or
> removed" packages, do you have any idea how I should dig myself out of
> this mess? I am tempted to simply install the new kernel as suggested
> (apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686) and then run apt-get
> dist-upgrade again to finish the process once that dependency is
> resolved, but I am worried about making things worse.
>
> Also I am still not sure about the significance of the "not fully
> installed or removed" programs.
>
> As for aptitude, I could use that but I am not sure if it would be
> good to switch tools in the middle of my upgrade effort...

Also, I should ask, is it ok to install the new kernel version while I
still have the incomplete dist-upgrade with the "75 not fully
installed or removed" packages? Thanks for your help, I have been
looking at the manuals for a while but I am still a bit lost here.