Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> >So you are happy if someone givey you pre-alpha's and calls them "stable"?
> >This sounds really strange.
>
> My first requirement is that the release team does not feel the need to use
> the qualifier "alpha".  I did not say that was my only condition.  Please
> don't put words into my mouth.

That's strange, you happily use pre-alpha code as long as it is not called
alpha?

> >> I disagree.  Next time I burn a CD with wodim, shall I send you the logs
> >> to show that wodim is working?  Or perhaps post them to a public forum?
> >
> >This does not prove anything. There are too many cases where it does nto
> > work at all (e.g. on laptops, ...). I am talking on usability and not
> > whether wodim may work sometimes under specific conditions.
>
> I have burned on my laptop many times in the last 2 years, using wodim.  Shall
> I send you logs of it working on a laptop?  I can show you many cases where
> wodim is working.  I can show you many cases when I have used wodim, showing
> that it is usable.  As far as usability is concerned, wodim and cdrecord have
> virtually the same interface so they have roughly the same usability.[1]

This is definitely not true. Wodim does not work for many (if not most) people.
This alone causes differences in usability.

As cdrtools introduced _many_ new features during the past 3 years, even iff
wodim would work, it did not give you the same usability.

> What would convince you that wodim is working?  I've offered logs, I'm not
> sure what else I can offer.  Or, have you simply closed your mind to the
> possibility that working CD/DVD/BD burning free software other than cdrtools
> exists?

You cannot convince people to believe things that are verifiably wrong.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?ordering=normal;archive=0;src=cdrkit;dist=unstable;repeatmerged=0
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrkit

Note that many of these bugs are showstopper bugs and that there are more
bugreports that have been removed although they are of course present.

> I prefer to use working, free software like cdrkit.  See my earlier messages
> for why I consider cdrtools non-free software.

As mentioned before: cdrkit is neither free nor working.

If you like to use free and working software, you need to use the original cdrtools.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)