Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

There recently have been some mails from Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. and
Johannes Wiedersich that have not been send to me, so it seems that the
authors are not interested in a discussion. Their mail contained the usual
accusations: the claim that cdrtools is not free and that there is no new
releases in cdrtools. As these claims have lready been proven to be incorrect,
we will not go any further in trying to discuss at this level.....

Let me go back to the original topic.

Given the fact that the initator of wodim stopped working on wodim on May 6th
2007 and started to advertize for nerolinux instead, it is interesting to
read the term nerolinux in the subject of this thread. Is Debian moving to
closed software like nerolinux or what is the backgrund for not distrubuting
working CD/DVD/BD writing software with Debian? Did the initiator of wodim
intentionally introduce bugs that make "cdrkit" unusable in order to support
closed source software? Is Debian no longer interested in free and working
software?

The Original poster was Paul Cartwright and I had some conversations with him
during the past week.

First, Paul Cartwright had problems to download cdrtools and it turned out that
a bug in the firewall implementation of his linksys router was the reason.
After disabling the fireall for the time of the ftp transfer, he could
download cdrtools without problems.

Yesterday, Paul Cartwright was able to write a perfectly readable DVD using
mkisofs and cdrecord at 10x speed. He did this out of the box after he send me
the command line he was trying to use and I send him simething like please
use these commands instead:

mkisofs -o xxx.iso -dvd-video -V "video.2008" "/disk2/pauls/movies/some-name"
cdrecord -v xxx.iso

It turns out that it is not easy to make CD/DVD/BD recording working on Debian
as _all_ related software has been modified to call the defective
"genisoimage", "wodim" and similar even after the correctly working original
software was made available. People could file dozens of bugreports just for
these modifications.....

The software that he was originally using called growisofs and growisofs called
"genisoimage". It is unclear whether both fgrowisofs and growisofs are broken
on Debian or whether the problem is only related to the defective genisoimage
program.

My questions are:

-	Are people interested in getting a working CD/DVD/BD writing toolchain
	on Debian?

-	Is there anybody inside Debian willing to support this by doing the
	needed administrative work?

Please note that there is a Debian cdrtools package available from the "grml"
Author, so there is no need to find a Debian package maintainer for cdrtools.

Also note that last Summer, Sun lawyers did an in depth license analysis on the
original cdrtools source and the conclusion from Sun Legal was that there is
neither a legal problem with the original software nor with distributing
binaries made from the original software. Is someone likes to prove that, the
Solaris Express Community Edition build 105 will be available in a few days
and it will include cdrtools release 2.01.01a54 which is fairly recent. The a55
release could not be included as the build 105 snapshot date was in
mid-Decedmber.

Note also that before the initiator of wodim appeared at Debian, there was a
good coperation. I am in hope that it is possible to correct mistakes from the
past and that soon, Debian users are able again to do CD/DVD/BD writing.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)