Re: k3b & brasero don't work, nerolinux does- works ar 2X

On Monday 2009 January 12 09:41:45 Joerg Schilling wrote:
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> >The minimum requirements one need to have on a "stable release" is that
>> > it does not have known bugs at the time of piublishing.
>>
>> We have different requirements for a stable release.
>>
>> >Cdrecord had 50 stable releases that match the requirements within the
>> > past three years.
>>
>> These do not meet my requirements for a stable release.  They are
>> explicitly marked as "alpha" by the person/group releasing them.  For me,
>> that means they are not stable releases.
>
>So you are happy if someone givey you pre-alpha's and calls them "stable"?
>This sounds really strange.

My first requirement is that the release team does not feel the need to use
the qualifier "alpha".  I did not say that was my only condition.  Please
don't put words into my mouth.

>> >cdrkit is not working
>>
>> I disagree.  Next time I burn a CD with wodim, shall I send you the logs
>> to show that wodim is working?  Or perhaps post them to a public forum?
>
>This does not prove anything. There are too many cases where it does nto
> work at all (e.g. on laptops, ...). I am talking on usability and not
> whether wodim may work sometimes under specific conditions.

I have burned on my laptop many times in the last 2 years, using wodim.  Shall
I send you logs of it working on a laptop?  I can show you many cases where
wodim is working.  I can show you many cases when I have used wodim, showing
that it is usable.  As far as usability is concerned, wodim and cdrecord have
virtually the same interface so they have roughly the same usability.[1]

What would convince you that wodim is working?  I've offered logs, I'm not
sure what else I can offer.  Or, have you simply closed your mind to the
possibility that working CD/DVD/BD burning free software other than cdrtools
exists?

>> I like to write CDs and DVDs; I use wodim (and other programs from the
>> cdrkit project).  Unfortunately, I do not yet own a BD writer.
>
>If you like to do this, you better use working software like cdrtools.

I prefer to use working, free software like cdrkit.  See my earlier messages
for why I consider cdrtools non-free software.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))

[1] "Usability" is a loaded word.  Etymologically, it should mean "the quality
of being usable" but it actually means "the degree to which an object or
device is easy to use with no specific training".