Re: Debian AMD64

On 01/10/09 06:51, Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Fri January 9 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
Ron is right though.  Unless you have a specific application that is
100%-ing your CPU, you probably aren't going to experience a measurable
speed-up when moving to 64-bits.  In fact, you might be better off using a
64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland since the kernel can save values in the
extra registers for the inevitable return from userspace.

so, are you saying I could "pop in" a 64 bit kernel, via apti-get install.... and leave my debian Lenny installed base as I686 but change my kernel from:
 uname -a
Linux paulandcilla 2.6.26-1-686 to something like:
 uname -a
Linux paulandcilla 2.6.26-1-amd64

Yup. I did it myself at the beginning of last month. (Except I rolled my own kernel.)

Note that, officially, you'll have to get rid of any binary video driver and go with the corresponding xserver-xorg-video-* driver, but you *can* run the 64-bit nvidia driver and 32-bit libs with a little effort.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA