RE: my new Inspiron - WAS: OT: laptop recomendations

Looking at your hardware I see this:
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

OK, I have that wireless card in one of my laptops. I know it works with
Ubuntu and Debian. If it is not working with your current setup,
something is buggered up. Do you have the ability to download either the
Debian or the Ubuntu live CD's? You mentioned before you were looking to
find out if all the hardware worked properly and I see no reason why the
LiveCD's wouldn't tell you that. I don't know how the laptop came to you
preconfigured, and I think that a clean run of a LiveCD would be just as
good at determining if the hardware worked properly. If you get it to
work with a LiveCD then it is the configuration; if not then it might be
the hardware.

Do you get restore discs with the laptop? That way if you do not have
access to the LiveCD's (restricted internet access or something) then
you should be able to do a fresh install of Lenny and have the drivers
work right away. Should you have problems you can restore the original
install to call tech support.

Hope this helps.
Have fun!
~S~