Re: Where to put the source of kernel ??

Mark Allums wrote:

 The actual source, Debian or not, can go nearly anywhere.  What is
needed is for a kernel module compile to be able to find the *dev* headers.

 Generically, you need a link in the lib/modules hierarchy to point to
 the dev headers.

I said that wrong. I misspoke. The "dev" headers are what the name implies. Used for compiling application software.

The kernel headers have *about* the same ABI, but they are what you need to compile a kernel module with.

So, yes, Virginia, there is a difference.

I said the compile a module against the dev headers, but that is *wrong*.

As Sven said:

# ln -sf /path/to/linux-x.y.z /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
Of course the kernel sources must match the running kernel.

Mark Allums