Re: Where to put the source of kernel ??

Mark Allums wrote:
> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I want to install gspcav1 (version 20071224)  from http://
>>> mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download,
>>> which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.
>>>
>>> the built file, gspca_build,  contains the folowing lines:
>>>
>>> KERNELVER=`uname -r`
>>> SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build
>>>
>>> if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
>>> echo -e '\E[31;44m'
>>> echo -e '\E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
>>> running kernel\E[0m'
>>> exit 1
>>> fi
>>>

>>> It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
>>> I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src
>>>
>>> so when I ran  gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??
>>> Is it an error on the file gspca_build  ?
>>> must I add something or config to  my source ??
>>>

>>> thanks for hel
>>
>> Your kernel should be in /usr/src and link the source to linux.

 Nope.  This is old information.

 Debian has a package with the appropriate headers.  It should match the
 running kernel, this assumes you are running a Debian kernel.  The
 package name varies with architecture; mine is linux-headers-2.6-amd64.

 The actual source, Debian or not, can go nearly anywhere.  What is
needed is for a kernel module compile to be able to find the *dev* headers.

 Generically, you need a link in the lib/modules hierarchy to point to
 the dev headers.

 You can put the source in /usr/linux if you are careful, but *DO NOT*
 make that link of which you speak.  The linux link, if there, should be
 left alone.  If not there, don't add it.

 Read the *current* kernel docs.

 Mark Allums