Re: does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:11:14PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/02/09 19:01, Chris Jones wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:05:14PM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >>Have you considered a tape drive?
> >
> >Yes, and the price-tag left me speechless.
>
> What about removable disk drives?

Tape and disk go back and forth over which is cheaper per GB (TB?).  For
frequent backups, sure a disk drive _may_ be appropriate depending on
the storage facilities available, but for sitting on a shelf (e.g.
archiving), a hard drive's firmware isn't really set up for dealing with
bit-rot that happens while off-line over time whereas this is tape's
bread and butter.

I hope in the next couple of months to get a small tape library from the
same place I got my four NetServer LPr boxes.  It supposed to have an
LTO-2 tape drive and storage for a dozen tapes, all in a 3U enclosure,
and all for $500.

Doug.

Really - that sound like a great deal.  Can you get me in on that deal ???
I would be very interested.
thanks
mjh