Re: does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:02:16PM -0500, Michael Habashy wrote:
> I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
> I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
> The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to
> put files on multiple dvds.
> My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it
> just copy all the files and ask me for a new  dvd when you need it.
>
> My multicd gives error :

I've never heard of multicd so I can't comment on its errors.

Personally, I'd tar up the big directory, zip it (or bzip2 it,
whatever), then pipe it through split, telling split to split it into
sizes appropriate to your DVD media.

The trick, of course, is restore since ideally you'd copy all the pieces
to some place, cat them together into the origional .tgz and then untar
it.

I haven't tried tar's multi-volume option.  I don't know if it would
work if you tried writing out directly from tar to the raw dvd burner.

Have you considered a tape drive?

Doug.