Re: Flash, konqueror

Mark Allums wrote:
> chris wrote:

>>> Uh, good question.  A more general one would be:  How do you enable
>>> Flash?  It's been broken in Sid for me for a good while now, and nothing
>>> I try (which is everything I read here about it, and everything I can
>>> think of besides) will fix it.  Doesn't matter if it is a Gecko browser,
>>> a Webkit browser, or something else.
>>>
>>> Mark Allums
>>
>> That should be fixable. Install either flashplayer-mozilla or
>> flashplugin-
>> nonfree. They will likely put a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.
>>
>> If your browser doesn't see it, make sure by putting a symlink to the
>> plugin in $HOME/.$BROWSER/plugins/.
>>

>> Have fun!
>>

> Didn't work.  Nothing works.  I have symlinked or copied that .so file
> to nearly every directory on the machine.
>
> Mark Allums

Did you check the Konqueror plugin configuration page?  If not, you
should.

Select "Settings-> Configure Konqueror...->Plugins" You will then see a
dialog box with two tabbed pages; Scan and Plugins. The Scan page
controls how KDE scans for plugins: either manually by pressing the Scan
for New Plugins button, or automatically each time KDE starts up.

The scan is done by looking through the folders listed in the Scan
Folders list for .so files containing plugin code. It examines every
such file to find out which MIME types the plugin supports. It then
creates MIME type definitions for KDE in the user's
~/.kde/share/mimelnk folder to make other applications aware of them.

The Plugins page shows you the plugins that KDE has found, and for each
plugin it lists the MIME types and the filename suffixes it uses to
recognize them.

The dialog box at the top of the page contains several global
checkboxes.  One, "Enable plugins globally" is useful if several users
are using the same box.  You can also enable or disable plugins that can
be contained in HTML pages (these can be considered a security risk),
and so on.

What I have done for the three boxes my spouse and I use is to put all
the plugins themselves -- or symbolic links to those elsewhere, such as
acroread -- for Konqueror in directory /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and
then in the scan list on the Konqueror plugins page make that directory
the first one Konqueror scans.  In fact I have removed all the other
directories in that list except $HOME/.mozilla/plugins in case a user
has his own plugins which are not global.

(If using iceweasel and icedove you can also provide a directory
symbolic link from their plugins directories to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, if you would like all your plugins and plugin
symbolic links in the same place.)

By the way, all the foregoing is explained in chapter nine of the
Konqueror handbook, which can be opened in Konqueror by entering
"help:/konqueror" in the location space.  The number of posts on this
subject confirms the adage: "If all else fails read the manual."

However, do not read the manual *before* all else has failed.  The
frustration thereby engendered is useful in order to improve your
personal failure frustration management.

Regards, Ken Heard