Re: USB-to-PS/2 adaptor: mouse works, keyboard doesn't

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Daniel Cliff
<daniel.cliff.email@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm a new Debian user. I recently installed Debian on my laptop
> computer, and almost everything worked out of the box.
> However, there are a few things that don't work now, but did in my old
> system. So I would like to ask for your advice.
>
> I use a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse that I connect to the laptop
> thru a (generic) USB to PS/2 adaptor. The mouse works, but the
> keyboard doesn't. I have no idea where I can start looking. My guess
> is that the installation didn't install PS/2 support, but I've been
> searching the net and reading the documentation, but can't figure how
> to deal with that. I will appreciate help from more advanced users.

I start up my computer. Boot Windows XP. Wait until it's fully loaded.
Plug in USB-to-PS/2 adaptor with mouse and keyboard attached to it.
Keyboard and mouse work perfectly.
Then I restart my computer (without unplugging the adaptor!). Boot
Debian. Keyboard and mouse work perfectly.
However, like I stated above, if I start up my computer and boot
Debian, and only then do I plug the adaptor, then the keyboard doesn't
work (the mouse does though).

Isn't this weird?

The keyboard is a Genius KB-21e Scroll. It comes with a CD with
drivers for Windows (which are not really needed. WinXP recognizes it
automatically). I use the keyboard in another Linux machine, and it
works fine when I plug it directly to the PS/2 jack. And the USB
adaptor says "Supports Linux".

I hope I'm not bound to boot first WinXP and then restart and boot
Debian in order to use the keyboard!