Re: exim4 authentication in etch? - SUCCESS!

Thomas H. George wrote:
P. Lane wrote:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:56:35PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
Tried *:my-user-name:my-password with the same result: Authentication Required.

Poured through the /usr/share/doc/exim4 documentation (also exim4-base and exim4-config) which insist there is a file exim4-conf-localmacros which can be set to modify line 1895 .ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS in the exim4-conf-template file. I have done all sorts of searches for exim4-conf-localmacros without success but there is a directory /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth which contains a dummy file 00_exim4-config_header and a file 30_exim4-config_examples duplicating the relevant section of the exim-conf-template file. If this is what is meant to be a macro I don't know how to use it. I tried brute force - i.e. changing line 1895 to AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true. update-exim4.conf did not like this.

Tom
Hello, I went through this also as I have Verizon as outgoing smarthost.
If you are using the single config file option for creating your template
you will have to create the "exim4.conf.localmacros" file with the line
 AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true
Save it to the /etc/exim4 directory with root permissions and then run update-exim4.conf.

This sounds right to me but I haven't got it to work. I created the file exim4.conf.localmacros with root:root ownership and xrw permissions containing just the line

AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

and ran update-exim4.conf. I expected it to modify the two lines in exim4.conf.template which read

.ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS

but they are unchanged and when trying to send mail with exim4 I still get authentication required.

Tom

I found I had to add two lines to the macro:

|MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = true|
|AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS=yes|

after which I stopped exim4, ran update-exim4.conf and restarted exim4. After this exim4 successfully sent a message.

In the process I finally understood that the macro causes update-exim4.conf to modify the /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated file rather than the exim4.conf.template file. Neat. As the Dean of the Physics Dept (a theoretical physicist) used to say, "Dumb but a plodder."

Tom