Re: exim4 authentication in etch?

Chris Davies wrote:
Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
The line I put in passwd.client is, "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my understanding of the man page instructions.

Yes, that's the correct format. But it's not what you wrote first time.

2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A <= root@tomgeorge.info U=root P=local S=316
2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A ** mail@tomgeorge.info R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<root@tomgeorge.info> SIZE=1348: host outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required

Ah. You're using outgoing.verizon.net as your smarthost. (I don't recall
you saying that, either.)

The hostname component is matched to the target address, which most of
the time will probably not be your smarthost. So in order to make this
work you will need to change the hostname to "*" so that the rule applies
to all outgoing email regardless of actual destination.

Chris
Tried *:my-user-name:my-password with the same result: Authentication Required.

Poured through the /usr/share/doc/exim4 documentation (also exim4-base and exim4-config) which insist there is a file exim4-conf-localmacros which can be set to modify line 1895 .ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS in the exim4-conf-template file. I have done all sorts of searches for exim4-conf-localmacros without success but there is a directory /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth which contains a dummy file 00_exim4-config_header and a file 30_exim4-config_examples duplicating the relevant section of the exim-conf-template file. If this is what is meant to be a macro I don't know how to use it. I tried brute force - i.e. changing line 1895 to AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true. update-exim4.conf did not like this.

Tom