Re: passwords in my iceweasel

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 20:17:38 +0200, mess-mate wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i've changed from etch to lenny, so iceweasel become version 3.01.
>>
>> I'd like import my passwords from iceweasel/etch to iceweasel/lenny.
>>
>> Can't find a way to do it and copy .mozilla/etch to ./mozilla/lenny
>> isn't a solution.
>>
>> A new .mozilla dir ha sto be created to that version as it must do.
>>
>> Any help would be very appreciated.
>>

> The passwords seem to be stored in
>
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default/signons2.txt
>
> for iceweasel 2.*, and in signons3.txt in the same directory for
> iceweasel 3.*. ("XXXXXXXX" is a random string that is different for each
> profile as a security measure.) I use a master password, so the
> sensitive data in these files is encrypted; I would assume - but I don't
> know for sure - that the same filenames are used if you opt for
> unencrypted storage.
>
> When I upgraded to the new iceweasel version my old stored passwords
> were taken over; as far as I can tell signons2.txt was simply copied to
> signons3.txt. New website credentials have been added to signons3.txt
> ever since, while the old file has remained unchanged. The format of the
> two files appears to be identical. Based on these observations I would
> guess that it might be possible to copy signons2.txt to signons3.txt
> manually if the automatic upgrade process fails. If you already have an
> existing signons3.txt in your profile directory then you should
> definitely make a backup copy first, so that the file can be restored if
> the experiment goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply,
Indeed, signons2 are copied to signons3 but it seems not entirely ..
some pwd's are not there.
I do not use a masterpassword and the sensitive data is encrypted in
signonsx.
At the other hand, when i try to login to a well known site, the
username and password are not filled-in automatically.
That's a cookies problem i think.
Following the mozilla recommandations didn't solve it:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile#Copying_files_between_profile_folders

I've installed the 'password exporter' and here no way to select an
exporting file format, so there is nothing exported at all. That for
iceweasel 2.0.0.16 .

best regards