Re: passwords in my iceweasel

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 20:17:38 +0200, mess-mate wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i've changed from etch to lenny, so iceweasel become version 3.01.
>
> I'd like import my passwords from iceweasel/etch to iceweasel/lenny.
>
> Can't find a way to do it and copy .mozilla/etch to ./mozilla/lenny
> isn't a solution.
>
> A new .mozilla dir ha sto be created to that version as it must do.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.

The passwords seem to be stored in

~/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default/signons2.txt

for iceweasel 2.*, and in signons3.txt in the same directory for
iceweasel 3.*. ("XXXXXXXX" is a random string that is different for each
profile as a security measure.) I use a master password, so the
sensitive data in these files is encrypted; I would assume - but I don't
know for sure - that the same filenames are used if you opt for
unencrypted storage.

When I upgraded to the new iceweasel version my old stored passwords
were taken over; as far as I can tell signons2.txt was simply copied to
signons3.txt. New website credentials have been added to signons3.txt
ever since, while the old file has remained unchanged. The format of the
two files appears to be identical. Based on these observations I would
guess that it might be possible to copy signons2.txt to signons3.txt
manually if the automatic upgrade process fails. If you already have an
existing signons3.txt in your profile directory then you should
definitely make a backup copy first, so that the file can be restored if
the experiment goes wrong.

          Florian   |