Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:05 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/07/08 23:42, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> I agree with the point you are trying to make, but best to:
> >> s/nvidia/ati
> >>
> >> More especially:
> >> s/nvidia/display manager/
> >>

> > no kidding... have to debug why gdm (work machine, for the general
> > user...) locks the machine hard when a user logs out... sheesh. I may
> > have to teach people how to login properly. ;-O
>
> I put this at the bottom of my family members' .bashrc files.  Works
> like a charm.
>
> if [ "$TERM" == "linux" ]; then
>      startx
>      exit
> fi
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA

Ron,

I like that.  Alleviates the need for a login manager at all and if all
win users snooping around would not even know what to type at the login:
prompt.  But does this not kill any vt's for that user?  ie,
cntrl-alt-F2, login, wham, GUI and not a term.

I am sitting here turning over diff. scenarios in my head, how to
accomplish them using this login script.  That is one of them.  I need
more time!  I don't have enough to play with.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com