Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 22:31 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 07:00:52PM -0400, "Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> was heard to say:
> > On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 06:58 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   One of my active anti-goals is making aptitude the best package
> > > manager after you enter 500 configuration options to enable all the
> > > useful features.  (hello, mutt)  The new code will be the default
> > > behavior, with configuration options to selectively re-enable old
> > > behavior for people who prefer it.  c.f. the change in the behavior
> > > of the installation commands several years ago.
> > >
> > >   Daniel
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I would suggest you use EMACS as a front end.
>
>   Already been done, and by none less than Junichi Uekawa:
>
>     http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/apt-mode.html
>
>   Sadly, though, there do not appear to be Debian packages of it.
>
>   Daniel

Impressive.  Currently I am running F9 on this box. (Don't hate me!  I
am just forcing myself to learn the RHEL way of thought, and I hate
every min. of it.)  But to be honest, This thread makes me want to
re-install Sid on this box (the one I use the most) just so I can poke
at aptitude ncurses again.  I hope you know that mostly I was poking fun
and not serious, except for the part about aptitude (ncurses) not
working the way I think, that is serious, but it reflects badly on my
short comings, not your code.  Thanks for taking the time to write it in
the first place and for upgrading it.  With you you guys, Vista would
feel warm and fuzzy.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com