Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

On 08/09/08 08:57, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:05 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
I put this at the bottom of my family members' .bashrc files. Works like a charm.

if [ "$TERM" == "linux" ]; then
     startx
     exit
fi

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Ron,

I like that.  Alleviates the need for a login manager at all and if all
win users snooping around would not even know what to type at the login:
prompt.  But does this not kill any vt's for that user?  ie,
cntrl-alt-F2, login, wham, GUI and not a term.

Possibly. But they never do that, so it hasn't come up yet. Neither have I found a need to, yet, for that matter.

I am sitting here turning over diff. scenarios in my head, how to
accomplish them using this login script.  That is one of them.  I need
more time!  I don't have enough to play with.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Scientists are people, too.  IOW, they also "crave power, money,
respect, and influence, and they also fear for their jobs. Each
can be a healthy motivator, but each has the ability to turn a
good scientist into a bad one; and in some cases, they can turn
a good scientist into a charlatan."
http://thefutureofthings.com/book/3/the-bomb-that-never-was.html