Re: What am I missing without mutt?

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 06:47:39AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 02/07/08 04:44, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 06/02/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >>  > However, I vehemently disagree that email should be ascii.  This is
> >>
> >> But that's how the US maintains it's hegemony over the Internet...
> >>
> >>  Well, that and the fact that (compared to "calligraphic",
> >>  pictographic & hieroglyphic languages) Greco-Latin alphabets are
> >>  small, simple, regularized, easy to print, and a perfect basis for
> >>  extensible vocabulary.
> >
> > Greek is not in ASCII,
>
> Never said it was.
>
> >                         and Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, and all the
>
> Russian derives from Greek.  Note that I specified Greco-Latin.

Russian is written in a script that was originally derived from Greek.
Latin was originally derevied from Greek. But things have changed over
time. For instance, even modern Greek is not the same as ancient Greek.

The Greek letters were derived from ancient Israely / Phenician
letters. Though the "modern" (anything in the last 2000 or so) uses a
somewhat diffrent script (but still from the same origin).

Arabic is also derived from there.

The fact that one script is based on another does not mean you can write
them using the same characters. You may be familiar with the Hebrew
Aleph (as in Aleph 0, א). The ancient Hebrew form of it was something a
bit more similar to the Greek Alpha, though rotated. And then you have
the Latin 'A'. Four different letters. Written differently. From the
same origin.

And the Arabic Alif is even completely different.