Re: What am I missing without mutt?

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 05:27:50AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:

Although I'm a recent convert to mutt, let me blow the horn for Claws (aka
sylpheed-claws-gtk2 on sarge).

> Mutt handles any standard form of mail box format,

Claws is only good with MH folders and IMAP, but it can import mbox.
Supposedly it can do Maildir with a plugin, but I installed the plugin and
didn't see any difference.

Claws doesn't do HTML, period (which may be part of the reason for its
snappiness, because i doesn't have to load a bloated HTML rendering engine).

> The guis, in my experience, save in their own format (If you let them?
> Configurable?),

I'm not aware of any GUI MUAs that save in a non-standard format, except of
course meta-information. Not that I'm aware of too many.

> My text (English) is ASCII.

Mine (usually) is UTF-8, and that's it.

> For me, it's:
>
>  ISP --> fetchmail --> {exim,procmail+bogofilter} --> mutt --> exim --> ISP

Exactly the same here. It's funny--before I came to mutt I let Claws handle
the MTA parts of that chain, and I always hated half the app freezing up
during mail fetching and sending (to be fair, Claws does a pretty good job
of backgrounding some of those tasks). But for the rare occasions when I
still use Claws now I've gotten rid of all that and only let Claws access my
Mail tree and the local SMTP server, and by golly, it is FAST.

> Mutt does its job well.  It does expect you to pet it regularly in the
> beginning, and from time to time from there on.  It's aptly named.

Using mutt is a hobby unto itself. But a satisfying one. My next hobby is
going to be vim, although I'm quite fond of joe.

--D.