Re: What am I missing without mutt?

On Feb 5, 2008 8:27 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:

> email was intended to be ASCII (or something discernable as it), and
> we have MIME attachments to deal with the rest.  I don't need or want
> anything more than that from email.  Apologies to those (the rest of
> the Universe) for which ASCII is inappropriate.  For me, email is
> text.  My text (English) is ASCII.

I agree that email should be text, not html, and that it should be saved
in a standard format (but which one? All mbox varieties have problems,
MH format has problems, and Maildir and Maildir++ have problems).

However, I vehemently disagree that email should be ascii.  This is
2008 and the planet is more united than it has ever been. Unicode,
particularly utf-8 should be and is the new standard. Users of the
Latin alphabet, and especially English speakers, have no reason
to complain since utf-8 is backwards compatible with ascii.

Any slight disadvantages unicode might have are more than
outweighed by the communication barriers it breaks down.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers