Re: unwanted DNS requests to localhost:53

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 03:35:29AM +0000, chris <nws@cevnet.mine.nu> was heard to say:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:17:57 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Yet, when I ping debian.org, tcpdump sees 2 (!) DNS A requests to
> > 127.0.0.1:53.
> >
> > Where are the coming from? How can I tell that source to stop trying to
> > be smart; if there were a DNS server on the loopback address, I'd have
> > configured it in /etc/resolv.conf. But I did not, and I run Debian
> > because I like to be in control of things. So what's going on, and how
> > can I restore the norm?
>
> You say "ping debian.org". I'm not sure what actions you need to take to
> make your system not try to resolve that into an ip. Without an entry in /
> etc/resolve.conf the default nameserver to query will be localhost
> (rtfm). What tcpdump showed you was normal.

  I think the point Martin is making (hopefully not putting words in
his mouth) is that he doesn't know of anywhere that he configured
localhost as a DNS resolver.  You would expect (or at least I would)
that without any configured DNS server, DNS queries would just fail,
not try to contact random servers in case something answered.

  Daniel