Re: unwanted DNS requests to localhost:53

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:17:57 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> I am working offline and couldn't help notice that my applications still
> try to resolve DNS hostnames.
>
> There are no routes, no addresses of any kind, and all interfaces --
> except lo -- are down. avahi-daemon is not running, and /etc/resolv.conf
> is empty.
>
> I noticed that /etc/nsswitch.conf includes mdns stuff, so I removed that
> (I certainly am not a friend of this kind of auto-configuration), and
> now it just says: "hosts: files dns".
>
> Yet, when I ping debian.org, tcpdump sees 2 (!) DNS A requests to
> 127.0.0.1:53.
>
> Where are the coming from? How can I tell that source to stop trying to
> be smart; if there were a DNS server on the loopback address, I'd have
> configured it in /etc/resolv.conf. But I did not, and I run Debian
> because I like to be in control of things. So what's going on, and how
> can I restore the norm?

You say "ping debian.org". I'm not sure what actions you need to take to
make your system not try to resolve that into an ip. Without an entry in /
etc/resolve.conf the default nameserver to query will be localhost
(rtfm). What tcpdump showed you was normal.

For an experiment you could try to leave out dns in /etc/nsswitch.conf
and perhaps do some stuff in /etc/host.conf.

I agree with you on the auto-config stuff, but what you are trying to do
here escapes me. You seem to want your system not to know about anything
but itself, as in: "what is this debian.org you want me to ping?"

Have fun!