x development libraries for cvs emacs

I'm attempting to build emacs from cvs sources.  Something I've done
many times on various linux distributions.

the ./configure step ends with an error about not finding X11
development libraries (posted at the end)

I'm running a fairly fresh lenny installed from the small cd installer
using network package access for the install.

It came up with the default xfce4 X11 desktop.

I don't know enough about debian package naming conventions to know
what I need to install to be able to compile emacs for X.

./configure error:

[...]
checking for X... no
checking for X... true
configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+, Lesstif or Motif.  Also make
sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without X window support, pass
  --without-x