Re: Fonts messed after using old xorg.conf. Clear cache? How?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 04:13:37AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:37:56PM EST, A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > Everything is way too big now, including the password field in kdm (I
> > use KDE), everything displayed in the status bar is too big, the font
> > in the konsoles is way too big.
>
> What's the output of:
>
> $ xdpyinfo | egrep 'dimens|resolut'

This was the hint I needed!  It turns out that the fonts were not the
problem.  After I did what the other poster suggested, there was no
change, so I tried this.

With the old xorg.conf (that gave me the huge fonts I complained about)
I got 1920 x 1200, 332 mm x 210 mm, 147 x 145 dpi.

This matches the size of the display and gives the correct dpi.

With the new/default xorg conf (that gave me nice size fonts), I got
1920 x 1200, 508 mm x 318 mm, 96 x 96 dpi.

This is obviously wrong, so what I had to do is adjust the font size,
primarily in konsoles, but the clock font size too.  The panel buttons
font is a bit big for my taste but I can live with it.

So there was manual tweaking to do after all.  I modified the default
xorg.conf to add the minimum mods needed (the nvidia driver options
mostly).  There was no need, as in the past, to include explicit
modelines to get the high resolution.

A.