Re: USB-to-PS/2 adaptor: mouse works, keyboard doesn't

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Daniel Cliff
<daniel.cliff.email@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Cliff wrote:
> <snip>
>>> I use a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse that I connect to the laptop
>>> thru a (generic) USB to PS/2 adaptor. The mouse works, but the
>>> keyboard doesn't. I have no idea where I can start looking. My guess
>>> is that the installation didn't install PS/2 support, but I've been
>>> searching the net and reading the documentation, but can't figure how
>>> to deal with that. I will appreciate help from more advanced users.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> What does this say:
>>
>> cat /proc/bus/input/devices

> This is what is _added_ to that file after plugging the adaptor with
> mouse and keyboard:
>
> I: Bus=0003 Vendor=13ba Product=0017 Version=0110
> N: Name="Generic USB K/B"
> P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
> S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
> U: Uniq=
> H: Handlers=kbd event7
> B: EV=120013
> B: KEY=10000 7 ff9f207a c14057ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
> B: MSC=10
> B: LED=1f

I did this experiment:
When I cat /dev/input/event8, some funny-looking characters are
displayed _only_ when I move the mouse, which makes sense, since the
mouse works fine, but when I cat /dev/input/event7, a handful of
funny-looking characters are displayed per second or so, regardless of
what I press on the keyboard (the caps lock led doesn't even turn on
anyway).

Is there a module to load PS/2 support into the kernel? I would like
to try that, but haven't found how to.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
D.