Fonts messed after using old xorg.conf. Clear cache? How?

Hi,

I'm now fine tuning a brand new Lenny install on a clean disk.  It
came up great out of the original installation with the non-accelerated
nvidia driver: it just worked with the WUXGA (1920 X 1200) display.
In previous releases the config files (XFree and xorg) required tweaking.
I then installed all the fonts I could find with aptitude.  No problems
with that either.

Then I installed the binary nvidia driver (legacy96xx) which is the
suitable one for the Go 4200 chip.  I had been running the binary
driver on Etch and even earlier and the xorg.conf file had some manual
tweaks in it.  A diff with the original xorg.conf showed almost no
difference, so I just copied the old xorg.conf (after backing up the
debian installed one of course).  BIG MISTAKE!  I had overlooked some
old font paths in the customized xorg.conf that messed up all the fonts
on the display.  Everything is way too big now, including the password
field in kdm (I use KDE), everything displayed in the status bar is too
big, the font in the konsoles is way too big.

Of course, the first thing I did was to comment all the font lines out
of the xorg.conf, but that didn't do a thing, even after turning the
machine off and rebooting.

How can I get the original fonts back?  I didn't find an obvious command
to clear the font cache and a google search turned up lots of pages on
how to install and configure fonts, but no answer to this problem.

Help!  Trying to get rid of too-big fonts...

Thanks.

A.