Re: k3b won't burn, nerolinux will

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:33:20AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, let me ask this again in a simpler way.
> I've not been able to burn a DVD in a while with brasero or K3b. Errors..

Well, you're not alone.  I spent days and wasted an untold amount
of blanks until I finally gave up.

k3b uses wodim as a backend, so I think the problem is with wodim.
I tried it on a Philips CD/DVD writer SDVD6004.  That gave the fewest
errors, but the disks were useless afterward.  They caused errors when
read in the same drive.  They could be read (sometimes) on other drives.

Running k3b/wodim on a real SCSI cd burner (Philips) and an PATA one
(Lite-on) on another computer generated errors as soon as wodim tried
to access the drives.  Both of those drives work just fine for reading.

> K3B either says it burs, ejects, and it is empty, or it stops burning about
> 27-31% through and just stalls. I've tried cranking down the speed to 4X (
> 16X burner).

I have tried using different speeds on all 3 drives and wodim ignores
the requests.  It goes ahead and burns at the speed the drive says it
can do it.

> I installed the demo for nerolinux, and burned a DVD the first time.
> I am a member of the cdrom group, and I've tried to run k3b via a root
> console, no luck.

I have tried both as a user and as root.  The messages are different but
it still doesn't work.  So, yes, there is a problem with wodim.

I ended up making a netboot "CD" on a usb memory stick...

A.