Re: iPod

Jeff D wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, JoeHill wrote:
>
> > lostson wrote:

> > >  thats not quite everything there is alot more
> >
> > That's not exactly comforting... ;)
> >
> > I'm just not sure why I would have to install kdesktop, kicker, kamera, and
> > konqueror for an app that syncs with my iPod.
> >
> > On the other hand, I would like to see someone who had not a single Gnome
> > dep installed try to pull down gtkpod and see what comes with it.
> >

> this is off a etch 64bit xen image off of jailtime.org, so, not much is
> installed by default, no x or anything.
>
> Etch:
> apt-get install amarok:
> 0 upgraded, 124 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 80.4MB of archives.
> After unpacking 240MB of additional disk space will be used.
>

> apt-get install gtkpod:
> 0 upgraded, 40 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 21.9MB of archives.
> After unpacking 74.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>
> Then upgraded the image to Lenny
>
> apt-get install amarok:
> 0 upgraded, 272 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 151MB of archives.
> After this operation, 430MB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> apt-get install gtkpod:
> 0 upgraded, 194 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 75.7MB of archives.
> After this operation, 234MB of additional disk space will be used.

lol, thanks, I didn't expect such a quick or precise answer :-)

To me, it appears that both pull in a pretty hefty 'base', but Amarok is
demanding about 80 more packages than gtkpod.

Now, I will admit that I do not know how much more functionality Amarok might
add, so I'm not saying that those extra 80 packages are just 'fluff'.