Re: dircolors - debian etch - broken by design?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:09:08PM EST, Edward J. Shornock wrote:
> * Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> [20-12-2008 06:27 EET]:
> > My .bashrc has the usual:
> >
> >   eval `dircolors -b`
>
> [...]
>
> > So I figured I just needed to issue a "dircolors -p .dircolors" .. edit
> > the .dircolors file to my liking .. and then follow up with a "dircolors
> > -b .dircolors" and that should do it, right?
>

> All that should be needed is
>    dircolors -p > ~/.dircolors
> edit ~/.dircolors to your liking
> test your edits with "eval `dircolors ~/.dircolors`"
>
> If you're happy with your results, change ~/.bashrc from
>  eval `dircolors -b`
> to read
>  eval `dircolors -b ~/.dircolors`
>
> Or you can--of course--just set LS_COLORS manually.
>
> It's working as it should with Debian Sid installation.
>
> $ dircolors --version
> dircolors (GNU coreutils) 6.10

Thanks a bunch!

The above absolutely did the trick .. why this wasn't working earlier is
a mystery .. since I could've sworn I was doing exactly the same thing.

With about 100 colors in my .dircolors .. ls output on my test directory
now looks like a bloody rainbow.

Sigh ... I will probably never know why this was not working earlier.

My guess is that there was some kind of syntax error in my input file
and that dircolors silently exited w/o an error message or anything.

Bastard doesn't have a "verbose" option that I could see.

Thanks again and Merry Xmas!

CJ