Re: xserver-xorg under lenny: SOLVED

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sat December 20 2008, steef wrote:
hi paul,

the wget_script you sent me did the job. so the nvidia-driver 177&&
works now fine under lenny.

thank you for your esteemed answer and your patience.

regards,

you are more than welcome!
glad it worked. You do NOT want to use the default "nv" open-source driver, unless it is for emergencies while you figure out how to get the real driver working.. slower than molasses!!! I don't care WHAT that other guy says:)

hi paul:

one other *possible* point:

checked all out on another machine just to be sure.

installed (under lenny, 2.26.xx kernel, x86) the nvidia_driver after shutting down X (the slowwwww nv driver) and KDE.

nothing happened the first time.

after i did as root:
xrandr --newmode "1024x768" 63.50 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync
and repeated the install procedure with *the* script, it worked.

at that moment i remembered i forced on my other machine X into a 1024x768 resolution with the same xrandr-command.

of course i can be wrong: yet there seems to be a connection between the xrandr-command and the success installing the nvidia-driver with the script. maybe because $xrandr gave 800x600 as highest possible resolution (after installing xserver-xorg the debian way) and *before* the xrandr newmode-- && command.

what do you think??

regards,

steef