xserver-xorg under lenny

hi list,

how do i get the magical xserver-xorg installed under lenny on a sata-disk so far that i can put my screen-resolution from 800x600 into 1024x768,

/var/log tells me the nv driver (nvidia-chip) was correctly installed. installing the newest nvidia-driver from their site succeeded although this driver was compiled with gcc 4.1.x and lenny uses standard the 4.3.x compiler nowadays. yet only a black screen.

xrandr was/is of no help either: highest pixels stay on 800x600

the funny thing is that another (this) hd (ATA) in the same machine with the the same nvidia-driver(s) from their site makes a screen resolution of 1024x768 without any trouble possible.

somebody out there with a badly needed sound advice on this?

i put back the original xorg.conf file into /etc/X11 so i can continue working on the sata-hd. nevertheless i should love a more appropriate screen-resolution.

i never understood the necessity of this modernistic magical behavior of xserver-xorg. i should love to have back the old days when dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg most times made screen-adaptions possible without problems. maybe an advice for the highly respected developers??

regards,

steef

--
drs. steef van duin