Re: xserver-xorg under lenny: SOLVED

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sat December 20 2008, steef wrote:
after i did as root:
xrandr --newmode "1024x768" 63.50 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync
and repeated the install procedure with *the* script, it worked.

at that moment i remembered i forced on my other machine X into a
1024x768 resolution with the same xrandr-command.

of course i can be wrong: yet there seems to be a connection between the
xrandr-command and the success installing the nvidia-driver with the
script. maybe because $xrandr gave 800x600 as highest possible
resolution (after installing xserver-xorg the debian way) and *before*
the xrandr newmode-- && command.

what do you think??

I'm not familiar with xrandr. I use Control Center-Screen resolution. Mine is a Dell 21" flat panel, and it is set to 1680 X 1050, 50Hz.

....well: i made twice a fresh lenny-install on a spare hd. *without* the xrandr command the script worked perfect. so i conclude that i made the first time a fault myself.

the nvidia-driver is, as you said way better than the freesource nv-driver: much faster. old classic movies, like 'the treasure of the sierra madre' with humphrey bogart, run perfect again!

thank you again,

reg.,

steef

--